We all need help sometimes and we’re always here for our customers.

We’ve answered our most Frequently Answered Questions for you below.


General info about us

Go back to top ↑

Will GoSkippy match a competitors price?
We try to provide our customers with the best possible prices which means our best price is always displayed online so hopefully we don’t need to price match.


Why are some insurance prices higher than others?
You might have noticed on comparison websites that your details give different prices depending on the insurance company. This is because all insurers have different prices for things such as areas, vehicles, age etc. For example, if you live in a big city, your insurance will more likely be more expensive than if you live in the country because of the risks involved – the increased possibility of theft and busier roads meaning there is more potential for accidents and so on. The value of your vehicle can also affect your premium, although a high vehicle value does not necessarily mean high premiums.


Tip: Differing prices might also reflect what’s included in your insurance cover. Check what your policy includes carefully before agreeing to the terms.

What cover do we provide?

Go back to top ↑

What insurance products do you offer?

GoSkippy offers a variety of vehicle insurance products for cars, motorbikes and vans providing the maximum amount of cover and peace of mind. We also offer home insurance, further details can be found here.

What levels of cover are there?

There are three levels of cover:

Third party – the minimum legal requirement. It covers others (third party) but not you. If you injure someone or damage their property, they’re covered but if your own car is damaged or stolen, you have to pay for the loss yourself.

Third party, fire and theft cover – is as above but additionally covers you for repairs or replacement if your car is stolen or damaged by fire.

Fully comprehensive – the highest level of cover. On top of the basics of third party, fire and theft, it’s the only type that covers you if you damage your own car, even if the accident was your fault.
You can claim for:

  • Repairs after an accident
  • Accidental damage
  • Vandalism

Tip: Fully comprehensive insurance often covers you to drive other people’s cars if you have their permission. You will only be insured under a basic third party cover for this. Check your particular cover policy terms.

What are classes of use?

There are three main classes of use. Social, Domestic & Pleasure and Commuting for Private Use and Business Class (1) and (2).

Social, Domestic and Pleasure
This is the most common class of use applicable to virtually all policies. Cover includes any social use of the vehicle, i.e. shopping, the school run or visiting relatives.

Social, Domestic and Pleasure including Commuting
In addition to the above, cover includes commuting to one fixed place of work (or educational establishment in the case of persons in full time education).

Business Class 1
This permits the policyholder (and/or spouse) to use the car for travel between multiple fixed places of work in addition to use for social domestic and pleasure use. Common occupations that might require such class of use would include a supply teacher, a care worker who drives to see various patients, or any person who might have to work at more than one location. Tip: This cover excludes use of the vehicle as a tool of trade.

Business Class 2
This class normally extends the cover under Class 1 (above) to any named drivers on the policy. Most insurance companies will require both the policyholder and the named driver to use the car for the same business (i.e. the insured and the named driver cannot use the vehicle in connection with different businesses) Tip: As above, this covers excludes commercial usage including delivering goods or selling products.

What are the minimum and maximum ages of drivers you will insure?

Policyholders and additional drivers must be aged between 17 and 75 on the date the policy is purchased or renewed. This is subject to the terms of your policy.

What is legal expenses cover?

Claiming on your car insurance policy is usually pretty straightforward, but your car insurance doesn’t cover taking sombody to court to recuperate your costs from an accident. Legal expenses cover offers legal protection as standard which allows you to recover your uninsured losses if you are involved in an accident that is not your fault.

What is windscreen cover?

Windscreen cover protects you against a broken or damaged windscreen or windows and scratching of the bodywork caused by them breaking.

If my MOT has expired, will I be covered when driving to the MOT centre?

Yes, we will provide cover to drive to a MOT test centre, or to drive from the MOT test centre to an authorised repairer, providing that the MOT/repairs were pre–booked.

Can I drive another car and still enjoy third party only cover?

Only if you have Driving Other Cars cover, this will be clearly stated on your certificate of insurance and you should check first to ensure you don’t drive without insurance. This cover is not available with our commercial vehicle insurance policies.

I am getting a new car, but I don’t have the registration number yet, what should I do?

For the purposes of a quote, you will not require a registration number. A registration number will be required to purchase a policy.

Will GoSkippy insure a modified car?

Yes we will.

A modification is anything that has been added to your car that is nonstandard – this could be tinted windows, alloy wheels, spoilers etc. You should inform your insurer know if you think your vehicle has any modifications in order to ensure you have adequate cover.

Tip: We have a modifications list to select from when doing an online quote and you can select a maximum of 5. if you have more than 5 modifications or are not sure it’s best to call us to discuss.

Do you insure hire vehicles?

Yes, but we will only accept long–term hire agreements of one year or more.

Is my trailer or caravan covered?

Your car will remain insured whilst towing either a trailer or caravan providing you are not receiving payment to do so, however the policy will not cover the replacemnt value of the trailer or caravan and will only provide third party cover should your trailer or caravan damages another vehicle. In all circumstances you will have to obtain separate cover for either trailer or caravan as this will not be covered under your existing policy.

Do you cover LPG converted vehicles?

Yes, we cover cars that have been converted to run on LPG for an additional premium.

Would GoSkippy provide cover for an imported car?

We only provide cover for vehicles officially imported into the UK that are coded by the Association of British Insurers. If you are unsure please contact us. (provide hyperlink to contact us page)

Information for policyholders employed in the armed forces

Service men and women personal vehicles will still be covered while on active duty abroad, provided the vehicle remains in the UK.

Are there certain things we can’t cover?

Go back to top ↑

Do you accept foreign licences?

It is your responsibility to ensure that you hold the correct entitlement to drive the insured car. We do not accept international or any other type of foreign licences.
Tip: If in doubt, please check with the DVLA and/or equivalent organisation from the country of origin.

Do you provide cover for couriers?

Unfortunately, GoSkippy does not currently offer cover for couriers.

My job sometimes involves carrying clients, students, charges etc; does my insurance cover this?

No, we do not insure the carrying of passengers for hire, reward or employment–related purposes.

Do you provide cover for driving lessons?

Cover for tuition is excluded from our policies. If you are taking driving lessons you should be covered by your professional driving instructor’s insurance, it’s worth checking you are fully covered with them before booking any lessons.

Do you do one day/temporary cover?

Unfortunately, we do not currently provide one day/temporary cover.

What vehicle types are not accepted?

GoSkippy currently does not insure heavy industrial vehicles, but we are happy to provide insurance for light commercial vans, private cars and bikes.

Will you cover me if my car is registered abroad?

No. We will only insure vehicles registered in the United Kingdom.

Why is it so important to put the correct address on your policy?

You need to ensure all information provided to us is accurate so that you are properly insured. Your current address is confirmed in that documents that we will email to you, such as your certificate or any further correspondence. Insurers are able to request proof of address from their policyholders to make sure that the address on file is the correct one so that they have the appropriate cover in place.

Tip: It’s important that the address listed on your policy is the one at which your vehicle is kept most of the time.

Why is it also important to disclose your occupation correctly?

You need to ensure all information provided to us is accurate so that you are properly insured. As with your address, it’s also important to disclose your occupation correctly. If you are dishonest about your job, for example you say you’re a policeman but you’re actually a footballer, then you may risk your claim being rejected or your policy being cancelled. Insurers are able to request proof of occupation if they suspect you may not have disclosed this correctly, if this proof is not received your policy will be cancelled.

What is a disclosable medical condition?

These are medical conditions or disabilities that may affect your driving ability and it’s a criminal offence not to notify the DVLA and your insurer. Notifiable conditions can include, but are not limited to:

  • epilepsy
  • strokes
  • other neurological and mental health conditions
  • physical disabilities
  • visual impairments

Tip: If you’re unsure, it’s best to get in touch

Licence Length – how accurate do I have to be?

You need to ensure all information provided to us is accurate so that you are properly insured. Most websites will allow you to enter the exact date you got your licence, so it’s always best to do that. However some sites will only ask for the amount of years you’ve held your licence.

Tip: If you have held your licence for 3 years 10 months, you’ll need to put this down as 3 years, even though it’s closer to 4. Only full years count.

Do I have to tell you about my conviction(s) and offence(s)?

Yes. It is important to let your insurer know of any convictions when taking out or renewing a policy to ensure you are paying a premium based on the correct details. If we don’t hold the correct information you may have problems at claim stage, for example your policy may be declared void or you may be paid less for a claim to make up for the fact you were not paying the correct premium. You can do this easily by contacting our customer services team.

How many motoring convictions do you accept?

There is no set number but it’s important that you advise us of all convictions so we can ensure you are paying a premium based on the correct details.

Tip: The impact that a conviction has on your premium will depend on the type of conviction.

What to do if you’ve had a previous policy void or cancelled?

It’s always better to be honest at the start than to be caught out later, so if you have had a previous policy cancelled or void it’s important to disclose this to your insurer before you incept the policy. The best thing to do would be to call the insurer to discuss your options because if this is found out at a later date it could mean that your new policy is also void or cancelled due to the non–disclosure.

Why is it important to tell us about previous incidents, accidents, losses and claims?

Any incidents, accidents,claims or losses that were made or occured on a previous policy need to be disclosed or you could be charged an additional premium or have your policy cancelled or voided.

This applies even if the claim was made by a named driver who is not on your new policy. It also works the other way, so if you had an accident when you were a named driver on someone else’s policy you would also need to disclose this on your new policy.

Tip: Insurers have access to online databases that have information on all UK claims and when a new insurance policy is taken every driver’s details are checked against this database so any incorrect claims information will be picked up.

I don’t intend to claim on my policy, do I still need to report a claim?

Yes you do, regardless of whether you intend to claim we need to be notified of any accident or loss.

Tip: Failure to do so might result in the cancellation of your policy or problems if you do claim.

Do I need to disclose previous windscreen or glass claims?

It’s important you disclose any previous damage to windscreen or glass so that we can ensure your policy is based on the correct cover, failure to do so could affect any potential claims settlement amount.

Are there any mileage restrictions on your policy?

No. We will ask for your expected mileage up front but unlike some insurers there are no mileage limitations on our polices.

When will I receive my policy documents?

We aim to email your documents within 48 hours. We will also advise you of your online portal access which offers you 24/7 access to your documents.

Tip: Check your junk folders just in case your email has filtered them wrongly.

What does a garage endorsement mean?

If your car is parked in a lockable garage, as stipulated in your policy, you are eligible for a garage endorsement which could mean lower premiums.

My documents have a security endorsement, what does this mean?

The security endorsement is triggered when you state on your policy details that your car is fitted with a factory fitted alarm/immobilisers.

Tip: These must be in full working order to be applicable.

Can I get instant insurance cover?

Yes, providing you can supply all the information we need to insure you, you can specify today’s date and the time you require the cover to begin.

Got a question about no claims bonuses or excesses?

Go back to top ↑

What is the difference between a compulsory and a voluntary excess and how do I know what my excess is?

The excess you have agreed can be found on your policy documents. It is composed of two parts – the compulsory excess which is set by the insurer as the amount you have to pay in the event of a claim, and the voluntary excess which is the amount you agreed to pay on top of that in the event of a claim.

So if you claim for damage to your car, and the insurer had set your compulsory excess as £200 and your voluntary excess is £100, you would have to pay an excess of £300. This could be paid directly to the garage is the car is being repaired or deducted from settlement if the car is a total loss.

Tip: You can choose a voluntary excess to £0, but generally choosing a higher voluntary excess is likely to make your premium cheaper.

How do I protect my no claims discount?

No claims discount protection can be added if you have a minimum of 4 years no claims discount (NCD). This can be added before you buy the policy, and cannot then be added until the next renewal.

If I’ve been named on another policy, am I entitled to any no claims discount?

No. The no claims discount would be in the name of the policyholder rather than a named driver.

I have been driving a company car. Will you allow me any no claim discount?

Yes – subject to a letter of proof from your employer stating the period of time that you have been driving accident free on their policy.

I have had a few months of cover with my current insurer; can you add those months of cover to build up my no claims discount?

No. Only a complete year will count towards no claims discount.

Had an accident or need to make a claim?

Go back to top ↑

What should I do in the event of an accident?
  • You can report you claim online quickly and easily or contact our Claims Team on 0344 840 9503
  • Remain calm
  • Don’t accept liability
  • Exchange details with the other party (including names, phone numbers and address, make, model and registration number of the vehicle, and details of their insurance company).
  • Take down details of any witnesses or police officers that attended the scene
  • Take photos if you can
  • Send us any documentation you receive to do with the accident

Tip: Our expert insurance claims team will guide you through the claims process so you’re in safe hands

Am I entitled to a courtesy car in the event of a valid claim?

Yes. If the vehicle is repairable and our approved repairer is utilised, every effort will be made to supply you with a courtesy car, subject to the conditions of the policy.

Emergency treatment cover and medical costs

If you or any of your passengers are injured in an incident involving your car, we will pay medical expenses of up to £100 for each insured person. We will also reimburse any person, using any car which is covered under the policy for payments made under the Road Traffic Acts for emergency treatment. This is subject to the terms of your policy.

What is an approved repairer?

This is a motor vehicle repairer approved by GoSkippy and authorised to repair your car following the claim under your policy.

Want to make changes to your policy?

Go back to top ↑

Why is it important to inform us about changes to your circumstances?

It is important to let your insurer know of any changes to your circumstances. These might include getting a new car, moving house, or changing jobs. Updating your details will ensure you are paying a premium based on the correct details. If you do not update your information you may have problems at claim stage, for example you may be paid less for a claim to make up for the fact you were not paying the correct premium.

How do I make changes to my policy?

You can make any changes to your policy quickly and easily by contacting our customer service team. It’s important that you keep your policy up to date to ensure that you are correctly covered.

Tip: With a GoSkippy insurance your documents will automatically be stored in your personal online portal which allows you to check your details 24/7. Please contact us if your require more information or check your insurance confirmation email which will outline the portal details.

How do I increase the level of cover?

You can only increase the level of cover partway through the policy if you are changing your vehicle.

How do I add on my speeding fine?

All categories of driving convictions such as an SP30 (exceeding the speed limit on a public road or motorway) can affect your premium. You are under obligation to alert your insurance company if you receive any points or convictions on your licence. Please contact our customer services team to arrange.

Tip: This will not necessarily have an impact on your premium but it is essential that it is logged.

What are policy and administration charges?

Policy and administration fees are separate from the charge for your cover. They cover the administration costs of making any changes to the policy. You can find details of these in your policy documents.

Want to travel abroad?

Go back to top ↑

Am I covered to drive abroad?

Your policy should cover you to drive abroad in a private capacity in certain countries as defined in your policy document.

Tip: This is subject to your usual place of residence being in the United Kingdom.

I am going to Europe on holiday. Do I have to inform you, and do I need a green card? Also, do I need to pay for cover abroad?

It’s best to contact us if you plan on travel abroad so we can confirm that you have the correct cover for the countries you are visiting.

If you are travelling in the EU you currently do not need a Green Card to travel as listed in the EU Motor Insurance Directive.

Tip: Please remember, there will be no cover for countries outside the territorial limits of your policy with GoSkippy.

Will I be covered for business use whilst in Europe?

No, you will only be covered if you are travelling in your private capacity.

What are the territorial limits of the policy?

The territorial limits of your policy are defined as any country which is a member of the European Union and also any country which the Commission of the EU is satisfied has made arrangements to meet the requirements of Article 7.2 of the EU directive of Civil Liabilities arising from the use of Motor Vehicles.

Tip: You can find a list of these countries in your policy documents.

Want to leave us?

Go back to top ↑

How do I cancel my policy?

If you wish to cancel your policy you should do this by contacting our customer services team as soon as possible. They may ask you to confirm this in writing.

What are my cancellation rights?

“You have the right to cancel your relationship with us, without giving any reason, within 14 days of receiving the policy documents or the start date of the policy, whichever is later. If you exercise your right to cancel during this initial period of cover, you will be entitled to a refund of premium paid provided cover has not yet commenced, that you have not made a claim, or a claim having been made against You.

If cover has commenced i.e. mid-term, your refund will be subject to a deduction for the time you have been covered and for any costs incurred in issuing the Policy. Any payments for additional add ons are non refundable.”

What is the MID?

The Motor Insurance Database (MID) is the only central record of all insured vehicles in the UK and is updated over 10,000 times an hour. One of the most important tools to ensure that only insured vehicles are driven on our roads, the MID is used by the police and the DVLA to enforce motor insurance law.

The police use Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) technology with information from the Motor Insurance Database (MID) to identify and catch people driving uninsured vehicles. More than 500 are seized every day and one person every three minutes is convicted for uninsured driving.

The MID is also systematically compared with the DVLA’s registered keeper records to identify uninsured vehicles from the record.

Tip: Just like the DVLA, you can check your vehicle is appearing on the MID for FREE.

I can’t find my vehicle on the MID, does that mean I’m not insured?

No it doesn’t. It can take up to 7 days to add data onto the Motor Insurers’ Database (MID) and in some cases a little longer. If you have any concerns please contact us.

What do I do if my car is unlisted?

We will only provide cover for vehicles officially imported into the UK that are coded by the Association of British Insurers. If you can’t find your car listed you will need to contact us urgently with all your vehicle details.

Cant find what you're looking for?

Email us & ask us a question